Monday 17 February 2014

Valentine's Sugar Cookies

As I've mentioned a few times before, I teach four and five year olds. I wanted to do something a bit different with them for Valentine's Day, so we baked cookies!!  The recipe is a simple one, perfect for baking with children. The cookies are crisp on the outside and slightly soft in the middle and they keep their shape really well when baking.


I used to make these all the time as a kid and loved decorating them with whatever I could get my hands on! We used pink glacé icing and all the sprinkles I could find to decorate these, but unfortunately they were scoffed before I could take a picture!!


225g plain flour
125g butter, softened
125g brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
Pinch of salt

Line a couple of baking trays and preheat your oven to 190ºC. Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the egg, slowly.  Sift in the flour and salt. Mix well until it makes a firm dough. You may need to add a little bit more flour.  Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and a rolling pin. Roll out the dough until it is about 1/2 cm thick. Cut out your shapes and place on the baking tray. Gather up any leftover dough, roll it out again and cut out more shapes. Keep on going until all the dough is gone.  Bake for about 15 minutes, until light brown. Leave on a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment