Monday 17 February 2014

Hidden Heart Cake

I wasn't going to show you this cake. Everything that could go wrong with this cake, went wrong. It was not a great day in the kitchen. But I decided to show it to you all anyway, because everything in life doesn't always go exactly as you plan!!


It started off okay. I baked the first cake, the pink one, which turned out lovely. Left it to cool, sliced it up and cut out my hearts. And then it all went downhill. I poured some of the white mixture into the tin, and added the hearts. But they started moving all over the place, and wouldn't line up straight. Then as I poured over the remaining mixture and tried to smooth it out, I just knew it wasn't going to turn out right.


I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but my oven is seriously out to get me!! The top of the cake started to burn, and the inside was still completely raw.  I left it to cook through and then cried taking it out of the oven. I tried to scrape off as much of the burnt top as I could and then covered it with neon glacé icing to try and hide the mess!!

 
Then came the moment of truth: the slicing. One side didn't work at all!! But the other side actually looked alright. The inside was just slightly underdone. I was planning on bringing it in to work for the staff, but I just couldn't bring myself to serve it to grown ups. So instead, I gave it to my class of 4 and 5 years olds. And they loved it!! I love how easily impressed kids are...


Has anyone else out there tried this before? If you have, please let me know where I went wrong!! I am determined to remake this cake. I promise to let you know how it goes!!


6 large eggs
340g self-raising flour
340g caster sugar
340g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
Red food colouring

Preheat oven to 180ºC and line two loaf tins. Put cake ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth. Split mixture into two bowls and add a drop of red food colouring to one. Pour the pink mixture into a cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.  When cooled, slice the cake into 1cm slices. Use a heart shaped cutter to cut a heart out of each slice. Pour 1/3 of the white mixture into the second loaf tin. Place the pink cake hearts into the tin, standing upright. Pour over the remaining mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.

Glacé Icing
220g icing sugar
2 tbsp hot water
Red food colouring

Mix together the icing sugar, hot water and a drop of red food colouring to make the icing. Poor over the cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment