Wednesday 9 April 2014

All-In-One Vanilla Cupcakes

Last week I made a Very Hungry Caterpillar cupcake cake for my friend's son's first birthday party. As it was my first 'commissioned' cake, I was taking no chances and used some of my favourite recipes. Check out the cake and cookie recipes.


The cupcake recipe I used is one of my all time favourites, as it it just so quick and easy to make. You literally pop all the ingredients in a bowl and beat. The buttercream takes a little bit more work, but it's totally worth it!! For this cake, I doubled the cupcake recipe to make 24 large cupcakes and trippled the buttercream recipe to cover all the cupcakes, the cake for the face of the caterpillar and a mini smash cake for the birthday boy as well.


250g caster sugar
250g butter
4 eggs
250g self-raising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a cupcake tin with cases. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat for about 2 minutes until smooth. Fill the cupcake cases three quarters of the way up and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack. 

Vanilla Buttercream
250g unsalted butter, softened
450g icing sugar
2 tbsp hot water
2 tsp vanilla extract
Food colouring (optional)

Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in half the icing sugar with the water. When combined, beat in the other half of the icing sugar with the vanilla until smooth. Add in any food colourings. Pipe onto your cooled cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment